Friday, March 21, 2008

Unemployment Agency - HORRENDOUS!!!

My husband is an electrician who was unfortunate enough to be unemployed for 3 months last year. He collected only 4 weeks of unemployment benefits, and has since been engaged in an almost year long battle with the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) because now they want him to PAY THEM BACK. If anyone is interested in what happened, please ask and I will be glad to elaborate - but in summary - we missed a filing date for an appeal. Heck- we didn't even know what an appeal was that is how dumb we were!! But we are learning quickly that their system of ENDLESS forms and filing is almost IMPOSSIBLE to understand. It is far beyond the ability of one simple blogger - let alone the average construction contractor. My husband keeps asking me - do you know what I would do if I didn't have you? I would just say to heck with it and let them garnish my state tax return. That is what they are trying to do now. And to top that off - the lovely State of Michigan also 1099'd me because they EXPECT me to pay taxes on it too. So I pay them back, and then pay taxes on it? We are now at the "appeal" level and we had to go out to their office on Big Beaver. The judge (I won't mention his name yet) was RUDE and ARROGANT and had long forgotten that he is a PUBLIC SERVANT who works at the good graces of shlumps like us whose taxes pay his salary. Has anyone else experience anything like this? Please send a link to this blog to them - I would like to hear their advice or comments on their experience.

No comments: